It is whimsical eye candy for your garden or outdoor living space, but maybe not practical lounge seating. Young and hip Los Angeles designer, Kyle Schuneman of Live Well Designs, created this super cool moss chair and kindly offered up the directions for the rest of us to re-create. Schuneman, who has been featured on HGTV and The Style Network, has also left his creative mark with companies such as Microsoft, Lipton and Target. Via
Use these steps to make this chair for your own home, patio, or garden:
1. Find a side chair that has a nice solid seat, something with a great shape and with a vintage flair will really take this chair to the next level. You will need to wet newspaper strips as well. Once you clean the chair cover it in moist newspaper strips.
2. Once the chair is covered in newspaper you will then put a little spray adhesive down and a thin layer of chicken wire so that the moss has something to grab on to.
3. Section by section, spray a bit of adhesive on the back of each piece of moss and push it onto the damp newspaper/wire. The bigger the piece the moss the better, so it does not look pieced together. Instead, it will feel like it has grown from the earth.
4. Once the entire chair is covered in moss, make sure to water it regularly in order to keep it healthy and growing. You can use a spray bottle or a hose with a spray attachment in order to keep it damp. The newspaper acts as something for the water to soak in, keeping the moss healthy. Use this moss chair as a great sculptural piece in a sunroom, a plant stand outside, or even a functional chair that is also a conversation piece.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits