This 2,200 square-foot residence is located on a Chesapeake Bay barrier island near the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Maryland. Designed by David Jameson Architect, the project conceptually fuses architectonic form with the natural elements of the site. Positioned between a salt meadow marsh, a pine forest, and the bay, the architecture is conceived to be at one with the water, the horizon, and the sky.
The local vernacular of the barns and fishing shacks provided inspiration for the new house which was elevated to protect against storm flooding by using concrete plinths. The plinth foundations are tectonic constructs that result in an opportunity to create above-ground structures: the outdoor shower, the swimming pool and the fire pit.
The house is used with various degrees of frequency and intensity depending on the weather and the number of guests. For this reason, the house is composed of several separate cabins that can be locked down or conditioned and inhabited as needed. Although the cabins are individual buildings, they are linked visually by the exterior metal cladding and coplanar sloped roofs.
The three main structures that comprise the house are the master cabin, the guest cabin and the lodge. The master cabin and lodge are articulated as metal and wood tubes that cantilever off the plinths. Each building is oriented to take advantage of specific views across and down the Honga River. The guest cabin is located between the lodge and master cabin and has a roof that protrudes above the main roof to act as an abstracted light fixture, greeting visitors as they approach. Via
A screened porch is a bridge that links the three volumes, while providing a breezy place to relax. A wood sun deck connects the pool plinth to the lodge. A fourth structure is an art studio.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Ultimate indoor-outdoor living: Pebble Beach Residence
- Inviting Lithuania residence with natural elements
- Fascinating Arts District loft in LA mixing DIY and vintage
- Modern cube house with majestic mountain views in South Africa
- Beautiful modern farmhouse with a backdrop of evergreen trees
- Modern Singapore oasis embracing nature: Willow House