This incredible site is located on the outskirts of Leiria, Portugal in a high position overlooking the city. Designed by architects Manuel Aires Mateus, the functions of this home are like any other: a house divided in private area with bedrooms, and social area with living-rooms. The private areas are at street level under the plot, around a central courtyard with rooms opening to private patios in an intimate environment. The living rooms are around a void that collects light from above and gazes the castle at the city center.
The house is a recognizable archetype emptied of its center by the light designed by a three heightened courtyard that opens horizontally at the garden level. The bedroom courtyards, revealed in the garden, relate with this archetypal object providing different readings on its scale. Scale and volume are controlled in a chaotic context, with a clear identity that from its core relates with the historical legacy far away: the Leiria Castle.
Photos: FG+SG – Fernando Guerra, Sergio Guerra
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Beautiful Woodside Estate with Mediterranean Style Living
- Case Inlet Retreat with amazing views over Puget Sound
- Small living room solutions for furniture placement
- Imposing compound surrounded by mountains in Methow Valley
- Victorian terraces tranformed into beautiful London family home
- Magnificent ocean view villa in Phuket