Transforming an old barn into a stylish new home, was not just about creating elegant interiors with a rustic touch; the building’s relationship to the outside world and its physical and emotional connection to the surrounding landscape, were just as crucial in the design process.
Belgian architecture and interior design practice Buro II, who a few years ago received the commission to re-design an old farm barn in the rolling hills of Central West Flanders. “The farm was the main place where people lived alongside nature, seeing it both as force and as threat,” says the architect, who took into account the weather conditions and the surrounding nature, when working on the Barn House’s design. Seeing the barn re-interpretation as a way of developing and managing the landscape, the architect added a new, residential dimension to a structure once only connected to working the land.
Artist Wim Delvoye decorated the interiors with his artwork. The interior includes living, dining and resting areas, but also a library and a small mezzanine hosting the en-suite bedrooms. The architect created large openings at the two ends of the barn’s long rectangular shape from where the owners can enjoy wide and relaxing views of the countryside. The dense shutters enveloping the structure create a sense of mystery, leaving the passer-by wondering what hides within, also protecting the occupants from harsh weather conditions — but parts can open wide on a warm sunny day, creating a welcoming atmosphere. The architect’s respectful approach resulted in a warm, cozy house, which will urge the occupant to open up towards nature and embrace the surrounding green fields, rather than just withdraw in it.
Photos: Ocvirk Kus Danica
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Jaw-dropping dwelling merged cliffside above the Aegean Sea
- Enchanting old castle style home on the coast
- Beautiful restoration of an old Victorian Mill
- Mountain contemporary eco-residence in Park City
- Trinity Bellwoods Town + Homes by Cecconi Simone
- Modern family home in Sydney by Tony Owen Architects
- Sumptuous home comprised of two connected pavilions in Australia