Looking for a place to retire in St. Helena, Napa Valley the wine country of California, a couple settled on this secluded but close to downtown shaped lot for the site of their modern retreat. Butler Armsden Architects designed the main house to be set back from the street, separated from the garage and studio by a lap pool that doubles as a reflecting pool for the facade. The main room of the house is two stories tall, and opens through triple sliding doors to similarly tall exterior space that is protected by a large roof overhang. The house and garage/studio form bookends to the pool and exterior space in between, creating a private world that is just a five minute walk from downtown St. Helena.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Uniquely renovated loft houses three generations
- Blurring lines between indoors and out in Mexico: Temozón House
- Prewar loft evoking an inviting feel in Greenwich Village, NY
- Glorious Upstate New York weekend getaway home
- 50 Ultimate farmhouse style kitchens for cooking and entertaining
- Alpine refuge with a strong connection to nature: Haus Wiesenhof