The Vienna Way Residence is a project by Marmol Radziner located on a large, extensively landscaped lot in Venice, California. Designed for a young family, the 4,554 square foot home features floor to ceiling windows that seamlessly blends the indoors with the exterior California native landscape.
Working within the narrow site, the design divides the lot into thirds, with the two main volumes placed on the exterior edges of the property, bridged by a sunken kitchen in the center. The one-story structure to the south houses a great room that combines formal living and dining areas. The structure begins in the front of the property and flows into an outdoor dining patio. A large expanse of glass along the east provides a visual and spatial link to the pool area.
The northern structure runs from the back of the property forward, also leading to an outdoor living area, and contains more casual, private spaces, including a family room and an office on the first floor and bedrooms on the second floor. An embankment of windows along the second-story hallway offers views of the green roof (above the kitchen) and tree tops below.
The kitchen acts as the hub of the residence, connecting the public and private areas and providing views of the pool, side yard and rear property. From the exterior, the kitchen is shaped by a bronze box that emphasizes its significance and provides contrast to the plaster facade found on the main volumes of the residence. In addition to bridging the two main volumes, the kitchen is the center of a water-related area that starts in front with a swimming pool and flows through the kitchen and over its green roof, and continues in the backyard’s lush landscape.
Photos: Joe Fletcher Photography
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Fascinating Arts District loft in LA mixing DIY and vintage
- Extension to a seaside villa: House N by Maxwan Architects
- Step inside a very charming French Country home
- Barefoot luxury living in Cape Town: Pearl Valley 276
- Peaceful Mediterranean style home in Bali
- Chic and Luxurious POD Boutique Hotel in South Africa
- House in Russia with a sumptuous indoor pool