Lake Laguno house is a project designed by JM Architecture in a small village called Brusino Arsizio, in Switzerland. The 3,700-square-foot polygonal glass pavilion and garden has been constructed above a partially buried lower level, almost hidden behind walls on a hill. An engineering feat resulting in an innovative modern artifact, it is unlike any other house in the village. The client desired a home with many windows and gave the architects a carte blanche after that to do as they please.
With Lake Lugano on one side and the Swiss Alps on the other, a glass house on a hill seemed the obvious choice. The site posed numerous challenges of a steep slope, strict building-codes, and surrounding houses, which made a typical solution impractical and undesirable. Instead, the architects carved into the slope and inserted a reinforced concrete structure, which is approached from a private lane leading to a garage on the west.
The underground level comprises three bedrooms, two baths, an office, formal entry, laundry, staircase, and playroom. Rather than facing out toward houses that block the lake view, the bedrooms open onto a garden enclosed by a wall and tall hedges. Climb the stairs to the public spaces of the house and you find another garden on 2 feet of earth atop the lower-level roof. Here the house’s curved glass walls allow for extensive views of the landscape beyond.
Geothermal heat pumps, a rainwater collection system, and radiant heating are some of the environmentally friendly systems used. The house is sculptural, sustainable, and practical. The client, who works from home, says that to witness the lights of the village and lake from the upstairs pavilion each night “is a wonderful experience. I live so much more intensely than ever before.” Via
Visit the website of JM Architecture here.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Fascinating Eichler-inspired home renovation in California
- 44 Stunningly white bathroom design inspirations
- Rough-luxe mountain home in Evergreen, Colorado
- 25 Unbelievably stylish living rooms full of amazing ideas
- A rustic-modern summer dream house on the island of Syros
- Stylish home with Scandinavian influences in Moscow
- Modern beach house in Manhattan Beach by Chris Barrett Design
- Schoolhouse converted into modern-industrial home
- Modern country villa in Cape Town: Silverhurst Residence
- A faraway island fantasy in the Maldives
- Charming blue-shuttered Provençal villa in St. Tropez
- Rustic wooded retreat in Martis Camp: Lifeguard Shack