The sustainably designed 45 Faber Park completed by architecture firm ONG & ONG is located in Singapore. The clients for this project are a couple with three young children. Their main goal was to maximize outdoor space whilst not compromising living areas. It was therefore essential that there would be sufficient space for the children to play outdoors as well as indoors. The overall concept, derived from the client’s requirements, was to create a living space open to the outdoors in a clean contemporary aesthetic.
The 6,372 square feet (592 square meters) building would need to allow for fluid movement between each space within and perform as a sustainable mechanism. In order to maximize space, the idea of pushing the mass of the building into the corner of the plot was developed. The concept of defining the bedroom areas and activity spaces as separate elements allowed for the final scheme to be reached. From the exterior, each element appears as a separate entity, however internally these have a strong connection to each other.
A colossal, spiral staircase greets one in the immaculate interior, forming the main focal point of the entire house. The staircase leads from the social spaces to the private spaces upstairs where there is a quiet family room which leads to a green roof terrace providing additional outdoor space. In line with the eco-theme, a skylight was constructed at the basement which enables natural sunlight to stream in. The client requested for as much greenery as possible, therefore, much of the landscape was left untouched except for a big lap pool with timber slabs on the sides functioning as the sun deck.
Photos: Derek Swalwell, Tim Nolan
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Home DIY: Ways to deliver the wow factor with wall murals
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Barcelona flat reveals vintage charm mixed with industrial flair
- Wooden house on the cliffs of the Isle of Skye, Scotland
- School house converted into fabulous family home
- Charming and stylishly designed apartment in Madrid
- Spectacular ski cabin in Sugar Bowl: Crow’s Nest Residence
- Tree House in the South African wilderness