45 Faber Park by Ong & Ong Architects is located in the heart of Singapore. The clients for this project are a couple with three young children, a set of twins and a younger child, all under 10. Their main goal was to maximize outdoor space whilst not compromising living areas. It was therefore essential that there would be sufficient space for the children to play outdoors as well as indoors. The overall concept, derived from the clients’ requirements, was to create a living space open to the outdoors in a clean contemporary aesthetic.
In order to maximize space, the idea of pushing the mass of the 6, 372 square foot (592 square meters) building into the corner of the plot was developed. The concept of defining the bedroom areas and activity spaces as separate elements allowed for the final scheme to be reached. From the exterior, each element appears as a separate entity, however internally these have a strong connection to each other. Upon entrance to the home, one’s attention is immediately drawn to the sculptural staircase. Its organic form contrasts with the rigidity of the two main elements of the house.
The second storey of the house, represents a more private area, is cantilevered over the driveway. The cantilever gives the entrance to the house an enclosed, protected feel. The arrangement of spaces on the second floor is a functional response to the needs of the inhabitants. In response to this, the spaces created were introspective and focused on privacy. In order to create pleasant sleeping areas the height of the ceilings was set lower compared to the ceilings in the social areas. Leading from the quiet family room upstairs is a green roof which provides additional outdoor space. It is equipped with a BBQ pit that overlooks the pool beneath. This space represents an ideal entertaining area or a contemplation garden. Via
Visit the website of ONG & ONG Architects here.
Photos: Derek Swalwell, Tim Nolan
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Fascinating Eichler-inspired home renovation in California
- 44 Stunningly white bathroom design inspirations
- Rough-luxe mountain home in Evergreen, Colorado
- 25 Unbelievably stylish living rooms full of amazing ideas
- A rustic-modern summer dream house on the island of Syros
- Stylish home with Scandinavian influences in Moscow
- Ultimate bachelor pad with industrial-vintage interiors in Noe Valley
- Extravagant Penthouse design in Las Vegas
- King Residence in Houston showing a resort-like lifestyle
- Stunning Chilean vacation home overlooking the ocean
- Opulent Villa on Como Lake by Studio Marco Piva
- 55 Visually striking pond design ideas for your backyard