This gorgeous home in Hawaii entitled “Ocean House” has been designed by Olson Kundig Architects. The residence has been inspired by traditional Balinese palaces and temples; this house sits on a beautiful promontory of exposed lava. Tropical design concepts and time-honored building practices were used to fit the house naturally into its setting.
The lava base anchors the house to the site, while the roof planes appear to float in the sky. Broad overhangs protect the interior from the sun, while sliding window walls open to unite inside and outside and cool the house using existing breezes. A river of hardened lava runs through the site and symbolically connects the house to important Pacific culture sources of energy; the mountains and the sea.
Visit the website of Olson Kundig Architects here.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits