Tucked away in a corner off the main road, surrounded by lush greenery, sits this top storey corner apartment designed by architects Juliana & Tristan in Brookvale Park, Singapore. The slanted roof, covered by a false ceiling, and diffused sunlight through the side skylight gently illuminating the interior was what existed prior to the renovation of the 1,614 square foot (150 square meters) apartment. From the architects: “The entire original ceiling was removed and a series of solid timber rafters, concealed and darkened over the years, was revealed. Lush greenery, now framed by newly installed unadorned steel framed glass windows, provides the necessary cross ventilation that every tropical home should embrace.
Cool grey stones greet the visitor as one steps into the living room and a built in book case meets the eye. A long bench which functions as the main settee is integrated with a series of steps, serving to transit from the stone floor to the timber boards on the split upper level of the unit. The open kitchen now serves as the new back drop of the public domain.
The new master suite takes over the entire rear portion, occupying what was once two guest bedrooms, a kitchen and a service bath. The collective space was given a complete overhaul, exposing the original roof rafters and creating an uninterrupted flow from the intimate bed space to the striking, opened bathroom.
The original master bedroom now functions as a study. The wall separating the study and living room was removed as much as possible, allowing one to peer into either space through the voids of the book case. The interplay of volumes within the apartment, brought about by the combination of the pitched roof, raised platforms and torn down walls reveal a strong yet flexible hierarchy of space that was intuitively understood and celebrated through the use of materials and careful detailing. The resultant space is one that has been crafted and honed to meet the refined sensibilities of modern life.” Via
Photos: Rupert Singleton, ImageGarden
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Jaw-dropping dwelling merged cliffside above the Aegean Sea
- Pasture Project with Mount Olympus as a backdrop
- Stunning transformation of a semi-detached Victorian house
- World’s iconic names in design set their sight on the Philippines
- 46 Inspiring small veranda decorating ideas
- Off-grid itHouse takes shelter in the California desert
- Waterfront estate with rustic elements in British Columbia