This spectacular mountain home is located in Sun Valley, Idaho, designed by interior design firm Jamesthomas in collaboration with architecture firm Michael Blash & Associates. The owners are a family with three young children, who had clear aesthetic direction in mind. They wished to have a home that is comfortable and family-friendly but with a modern edge, nothing that is too rustic. The designers wanted to connect the home to its rugged surroundings and not have the home appear to be too harshly modern, or like it could have been anywhere. The architects designed a contemporary Craftsman style home, which melds pitched rooflines and thick rafters with patinated steel and floor to ceiling windows. The exterior facade of the home was designed in a cluster of five separate forms connected by glass-walled transitional spaces.
The interiors were designed to be more intimate and cozy compared to the significant size of the home. To create warmth throughout the spaces, wood and stone were incorporated not only with furnishings and flooring material, but also as wall and ceiling treatments. Natural materials were fused into the design with custom-made cabinets and paneling of mahogany and walnut and modern latticework on the ceiling in the entry and master bath. Polished finished with warmly upholstered furnishings and a few eclectic pieces bring the interiors to life. The outdoors was brought in with the addition of a trough of river rock under the sink in the master bath, a live-edge console table carved from a big chunk of tree in the entry, and a sculptural bronze chair near the stairway appears like a dug up boulder. With a combination of modern and the mountains this residence is unexpected and organic, combining customary materials of stone, cedar, and weathered metal but with none of the traditional trappings of old west style.
Photos: Tim Brown
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Wurster Revival filled with contemporary art in San Francisco
- Stunning dwelling with views of Valle de Bravo Lake
- Charming apartment with intriguing layout in Gothenburg, Sweden
- Contemporary beach house at Montauk Point
- Crook | Cup | Bow | Twist by Schwartz and Architecture
- Church conversion into a spectacular bluestone