This exceptional coastal home is the result of the vision of Hollywood film director Rob Cohen and his wife beneath the sacred volcano Mount Agung in Candidasa, Bali. Dominating the Pantai Jasi coast, and set amid a coconut plantation right at the water’s edge, the 6,265 square foot six bedroom, six bathroom villa is modeled on the royal residences of the Minang people of Sumatra, and built entirely from recycled timber. Designer Linda Garland revived the traditional Sumatran Minangkabau architecture. The main pavilion’s exterior facade is fashioned after an aristocratic adobe, stepping up at the ends.
The big house has been constructed of reclaimed ironwood utility poles. The open air living area is outfitted with 10-foot bamboo sofas designed by Linda, who decorated the space with the Cohens’ collection of Bali Aga statues and Balinese masks. From the master bedroom pavilion, spectacular views of both a man-made lake and the ocean can be enjoyed. Both the interiors and exterior of the building’s walls are comprised of plaited black bamboo and thatch roofs made from locally derived cogon grass. Throughout the complex, buildings were pegged together—not a single nail was used.
The ultimate getaway-from-it-all residence for a buyer who’s a beachcomber at heart, listed for an undisclosed price from here.
A second guesthouse features elaborately carved doors from salvaged scraps from an old Batak house on neighboring Sumatra.
A traditional rice storage house called a lumbung was adapted as one of two guesthouses.
Photos: Tim Street-Porter
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Fascinating Eichler-inspired home renovation in California
- 44 Stunningly white bathroom design inspirations
- Rough-luxe mountain home in Evergreen, Colorado
- 25 Unbelievably stylish living rooms full of amazing ideas
- A rustic-modern summer dream house on the island of Syros
- Stylish home with Scandinavian influences in Moscow
- Delightful apartment that bursts with color and energy
- Gorgeous Montana retreat with timeless design
- Barefoot luxury living in Cape Town: Pearl Valley 276
- Stunning Two Barns House in Poland for modern family living
- A charming fairytale garden shed on Decatur Island
- Enchanting Swedish home with tantalizing details