This exceptional coastal home is the result of the vision of Hollywood film director Rob Cohen and his wife beneath the sacred volcano Mount Agung in Candidasa, Bali. Dominating the Pantai Jasi coast, and set amid a coconut plantation right at the water’s edge, the 6,265 square foot six bedroom, six bathroom villa is modeled on the royal residences of the Minang people of Sumatra, and built entirely from recycled timber. Designer Linda Garland revived the traditional Sumatran Minangkabau architecture. The main pavilion’s exterior facade is fashioned after an aristocratic adobe, stepping up at the ends.
The big house has been constructed of reclaimed ironwood utility poles. The open air living area is outfitted with 10-foot bamboo sofas designed by Linda, who decorated the space with the Cohens’ collection of Bali Aga statues and Balinese masks. From the master bedroom pavilion, spectacular views of both a man-made lake and the ocean can be enjoyed. Both the interiors and exterior of the building’s walls are comprised of plaited black bamboo and thatch roofs made from locally derived cogon grass. Throughout the complex, buildings were pegged together—not a single nail was used.
The ultimate getaway-from-it-all residence for a buyer who’s a beachcomber at heart, listed for an undisclosed price from here.
A second guesthouse features elaborately carved doors from salvaged scraps from an old Batak house on neighboring Sumatra.
A traditional rice storage house called a lumbung was adapted as one of two guesthouses.
Photos: Tim Street-Porter
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Home DIY: Ways to deliver the wow factor with wall murals
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Riley's Cove Residence by Olson Kundig Architects
- Charming and Chic Nordic Style Holiday Home in Madrid
- Stunning rejuvenation of North Bondi House by MCK Architects
- Woodside Victorian mansion in Australia
- Sleek and modern San Lorenzo North villa in Portugal
- 53 Most amazing outdoor fireplace designs ever