This contemporary single-storey home burrowed into the sloping riverside terrain was built next to the Ganges River in Rishikesh, India designed by Mumbai architects Rajiv Saini + Associates. Its green surroundings paint a beautiful, natural scene with which the architect has utilized and built the property around, using geometric angles in order to manipulate the incoming light at different times of day in order to enhance the extraordinary feel of this modern building. Rough masonry walls define the main entrance, which opens up to reveal expansive river views. The large entrance space, along with the outside deck, functions as an informal lounging zone.
The spacious and luxurious interior features curved and angular concrete walls, high ceilings and strikingly natural colors to suit the buildings surroundings which add to its appeal. Concrete, brick and stone walls are exposed throughout the interior, whilst floors are finished in textured ochre colored sandstone in the public and circulation areas and timber in the bedrooms and local stones or teak timber in the bathrooms. Custom solid teak wood furniture along with linen and cotton furnishings was used throughout the house. There are three simple bedroom suites casual/informal spaces to lounge around with family and friends. Via
A spa is located where the building tunnels into the hill and a tree-lined courtyard is concealed between the house and landscape.
A scooping concrete roof cantilevers over the rear entrance of the house.
Slatted timber columns surround an oval dining room at the heart of the house.
Photos: Sebastian Zachariah
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Home DIY: Ways to deliver the wow factor with wall murals
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Black brick villa with chic Scandinavian charm
- Modern minimalist pad nestled hillside in Colombia
- Beautiful lake house retreat on the Columbia River
- Picturesque beach house getaway in WaterColor
- 58 Amazing bright and colorful outdoor living spaces
- Ultra-fabulous Chalet One Oak in village of Combloux