CP Harbor House is a rustic vacation home for two Toronto households on the rocky shores of Georgian Bay, designed by MJ | Architecture. The cottage is an assembly of four discreet enclosures linked by an expansive large wraparound porch and roof that links the two main houses and two guest cabins, and is the site of many impromptu shared meals. Both families required space for entertaining, one family needed a bedroom for the kids, the other family needed a home office and a music room. Tight zoning regulations required that they could only have one house on the site; the final scheme consisted of a massive shed, a post and beam structure of Douglas fir, 20 feet high at its apex, that shelter two separate double-storey but fully insulated structures.
The cabins are connected by an underground basement, where there are two mechanical rooms holding water heaters and an electrical system of solar panels on the roof. The aim for a net zero carbon footprint has led to careful building orientation and configuration, passive heating, cooling and ventilation and wood burning heat. The expense and maintenance of the electrical systems are pooled and the outdoor spaces are common ground. Communal lunches and dinner parties are held on the porch, which provides a flexible armature for hanging seats, swings, beds and Japanese lanterns.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Fascinating Arts District loft in LA mixing DIY and vintage
- Stunningly timeless Tudor style home in Portland
- Modern loft space offers a slick bachelor pad in Toronto
- Carved into the Big Sur landscape: Dani Ridge House
- Connected to its surrounding landscape: San Lorenzo Residence
- Ultimate lakeshore escape: Jasmine’s Cove
- Picturesque mountain house in Colorado