Perched on over seven acres with heavenly ocean, mountain and valley views in Carpinteria, California this rustic compound has been designed by architect Don Nulty. The retreat was originally designed for film director Joel Schumacher who wished to have a rustic look with modern comforts. The architect created a new sophisticated residence that has been masterfully maintained throughout, incorporating wood from several 200-year-old disassembled barns. The 6,500 square foot, three bedroom, five-and-a-half bathroom home was featured in Architectural Digest, built in 2000, modern elements have been seamlessly blended with reclaimed barn wood to create this most stylish yet understated magical estate. Features include cathedral/vaulted/trey ceilings, skylight, guest house, guest quarters, loft and exercise room.
This stunning residence is now up for sale, listed at $9,450,000, from here.
The rear elevation. From left are the red barn, the breakfast room, the gray barn and the brown barn.
In the entrance hall, adaptations of Diego Rivera murals “celebrate the worker,” says Schumacher. Arte de Mexico wood doors.
On the left, An antique bust and a figurative oil painting rest on a worktable in the living room. On the right, beams from the old barns frame one of the living room’s two fireplaces.
The black-bottomed pool—“based on Bruce Weber and Nan Bush’s cement watering hole on their gorgeous Montana ranch”—looks out to the ocean.
African beaded kings’ and queens’ armchairs flank the entrance to Schumacher’s bedroom. “The Beacon blankets and Native American rugs are from everywhere,” he recalls. “I’ve been collecting them from flea markets, swap meets and the like since 1971.”
Schumacher’s bedroom is housed in the structure built from what he calls the brown barn, which is connected to the main house.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Jaw-dropping dwelling merged cliffside above the Aegean Sea
- Blending Texas style with mountain rustic in Tahoe: Austin Cabin
- Modern bohemian style warehouse loft in DUMBO, New York
- An island oasis showcases charming details on Formentera
- 52 Incredibly fabulous breakfast nook design ideas
- Off-grid itHouse takes shelter in the California desert
- Impressive house surrounded by forest in Chile