This fabulous hacienda just outside San Miguel de Allende in central Mexico was a collaboration between David Howell Design and the owner, furniture designer John Houshmand. The 10,000 square foot courtyard house is situated on a plateau that served as a pilgrimage site for the indigenous people in the area. Using traditional construction technologies, this modern retreat is an updated Spanish hacienda with a hot-spring fed swimming pool. All work was done with locally available materials and local artisans. The courtyard and house were planned around two existing trees, and the courtyard is centered around an infinity pool fountain. With water on the site, it has been transformed from an arid and dry landscape to one that is full of lush foliage. There are four master bedrooms and each is designed around a color and has a fireplace for warmth. There are also two adjoining bedrooms, and two additional rooms that can be converted into bedrooms (art studio and music rooms).
This retreat is also available for rent, at $5,000 – $8,000 per week and $2,500 – $4,000 per weekend, from here.
The lava rock stairs lead up a master bedroom retreat and private terrace.
These traditional Spanish boveda ceilings were created by one master craftsman on a ladder.
The light fixture in the kitchen was re-purposed from a wire basket.
In this bathroom, the sink is a re-purposed trough from a local farmer.
This large master bath has a spa-like feel, including a large bathtub, lounging area and fireplace.
The live-edge cherry sofas and coffee table are by John Houshmand.
This opening leads to a lava rock terrace.
The bathroom features plaster walls, a poured concrete bathtub and a local antique sink.
A space designed for artists. This room can also be a bedroom or a yoga/meditation studio.
This is a banquette nook that can also be use as a bed, with walls comprised of local lava rock.
The living room’s fireplace is open to the courtyard, so the fire and the view can be enjoyed from both spaces.
Off a master bedroom is the “Margarita Lounge”, with a concrete roof and thatched ceiling to protect from the elements.
Photos: David Joseph
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Fascinating Eichler-inspired home renovation in California
- 44 Stunningly white bathroom design inspirations
- Rough-luxe mountain home in Evergreen, Colorado
- A rustic-modern summer dream house on the island of Syros
- Stylish home with Scandinavian influences in Moscow
- 40 Amazing fall-inspired front porch decorating ideas
- Classic and modern country house in Rye, New York
- Curl Curl beach house with captivating sea views
- Glamorous Parisian apartment in The Place des Vosges
- Innovative luxury home with Sydney harbour views
- Whitmore Road mixed-use project by Trevor Horne Architects
- 60+ Basements transformed into spaces you may never want to leave