Elk Ridge Lodge was constructed by Centre Sky Architecture to be a part of the ridge and the surrounding site, situated at The Club at Spanish Peaks, Big Sky, Montana. Drawing on regional history, the home is constructed using reclaimed timbers and siding throughout the building with an emphasis on reinventing rustic style. This residence’s design is based on a number of principals- quality, durability, site views and a “lodgey” aesthetic. The client wished to build a getaway home that was a “jewel box” in the mountains. The overall design concept was centered on the owner’s passion for the outdoors, love of Yellowstone and Western history and a request for a house that could be filled with multiple families, yet never seem crowded.
At the front door, the massive cedar posts, set in stone, allude to what’s inside, a hush of warmth from the soft clay-walled entryway embraces visitors. One is greeted with bold color and warm textures of wood, stone and metal. The interiors were designed by Carole Sisson Designs, who thoughtfully designed with a Western connection expressed in contemporary form. The extraordinary cedars seen throughout the home offers more than an aesthetic appeal, the trees are structural, partially bearing weight of both the roof and the locally forged custom interior bridge that spans the second floor, connecting the master wing to the rest of the home. The bridge has a connection with the structural elements of the building, the clerestory windows on one side and the arched timber trusses, iron tension rods and the masonry of the fireplace on the other, to the landscape through the great room window.
Photos: Roger Wade Photography
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Unique modern dwelling in Guatemala City
- Contemporary resort-style living in Laguna Beach
- Exceptional contemporary villa with distinctive facade in Moscow
- Hilltop retreat reflecting Mediterranean elegance
- Striking modern residence on the Oregon coast
- Charming hybrid log home with breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe