This warm bungalow in San Anselmo, California was designed by Alison Davin of Jute Interior Design. The client wished to have a home that felt warm and lived in instead of sleek and with a brand new feel. A mix of vintage items and global decor pieces with history was used throughout the home. The 1,000 square foot home was for a family of three, the client had a Peace Corps background which shaped the design choices in the home. To match the Spanish Revival architecture, the designer added reclaimed wooden beams on the ceiling and a new fireplace surround. The beams add warmth to the space and visually expand the small living room. The eclectic gallery wall was neatly pulled together with a nonlinear arrangement. The frames are of a neutral color palette to minimize a hodgepodge effect.
Very little was done to the kitchen, just a cosmetic upgrade from the previous owners. The drawers were given a facelift with a new coat of paint, and new drawer pulls were added from Restoration Hardware. The yellow and taupe tiles add a splash of color and pattern to the interior’s muted creams, whites, browns and tans. The daughter’s playroom is in keeping with the neutral color palette seen throughout the rest of the home. The playroom features a whimsical tepee, nesting wicker cubes wired together for toy storage, artwork display, kid-size table and stools which makes up for the lack of splashy, playful color punches found in most children’s rooms.
A vintage clock, barrel hoop and gourd-like vessel soften the straight lines of the mantel, fireplace structure and exposed beams.
The pendant lamp is the Teardrop Light from New York-based Tucker Robbins; it’s made from a Indonesian fishing net, lined with rice paper.
A wall shelf features vintage wooden Quranic Teaching Tablets from Morocco.
The designer created an eclectic assortment of different-size shelving units against the wall.
Photos: Matthew Millman Photography
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Jaw-dropping dwelling merged cliffside above the Aegean Sea
- 47 Extremely cozy and rustic cabin style living rooms
- Modern restoration and renovation in Mexico City by Ezequiel Farca
- Charming Christmas decorated home in Barcelona
- Cliffside Bali resort with awe-inspiring ocean views
- Mediterranean dwelling overlooks Salt Creek Beach
- Dwelling immersed in the South African mountains