The most recent project from ZW6 Interior is the Railway House in Santpoort, The Netherlands. The former Railway House, built in 1867, is almost brutally shot through with a large Cortensteel volume. On two sides an extension is achieved with hard lines and large glass surfaces, which focuses on the surrounding greenery. The small Railway House literally breaks through its ancient walls outside and provides new insight into landscape. The old railway cottage is on the inside almost unchanged.
The remains of numerous alterations have been removed, leaving a pure and characteristic brick cottage. This old section provides security and simultaneously connects all contiguous open spaces of the house. From the middle of the house you will experience long sightlines and a waterfall staircase connecting the various floors. On the east side a volume is added to the entrance and the living room. In the basement you can find the sleeping area with bathroom. By making the extension narrow and elongated an intimate patio is created on the south side, covered with shells.
On the west side the expansion is oriented in the width. This dining room is linked to the kitchen in the old Railway House. In the Railway House exciting reversals between inside and outside arise. The outside of the house is the interior for the dining room and the patio looks mostly an interior space. Old elements and new additions alternate each other surprisingly. Hard materials meet the gentle atmosphere of the old house. In the interior this variety continues.
Design classics combined with found objects, a Persian carpet on the hard untreated concrete, a surfboard next to the dining table and a series of remarkable plants throughout the Railway House. You also can find an extraordinary art collection which gives every space a special and unique atmosphere.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Fascinating Arts District loft in LA mixing DIY and vintage
- Beautifully restored farmhouse in Tuscany
- Rustic-modern barnwood farmhouse in Dallas, Texas
- Centennial Tree House with energizing courtyard in Singapore
- Wooden house and guest retreat off the California coast
- A gorgeous modern renovation in Miami
- Charming blue-shuttered Provençal villa in St. Tropez