The Villa Extramuros was built in Arraiolos, a small city north of Evora, the Capital of Alentejo, the largest province of Portugal well known for its unspoiled beautiful nature, historical treasures and quiet lifestyle. Villa Extramuros invites us to follow the orders of the name itself; Extra-Muros stands for staying outside of the walls. The minimalist architecture combined with the whitewashed open plan kitchen, reception and dining area revive the traditional and medieval, surrounded by cork oaks and olive trees.
Jordi Fornells and Rolf Heinemann of Vora Arquitectura have made sure that the living spaces are well protected retaining the visitor’s privacy without compromising the diffused, natural lighting and view from the inside of the Villa. This relaxing view of orange trees with the water basin out in the open central courtyard makes the Portuguese guest house a perfect destination all year long.
The emblematic local materials of the Alentejo region as well as marble and cork, have been generously used for both decoration and constructional purposes. Villa Extramuros provides three standard rooms in addition to two superior rooms located on the first floor complete with private terraces with spectacular views and numerous facilities.
Additional materials used for the Villa’s interior spaces include waxed concrete for the floors and staircases, sliding glass doors and marble finishes. The local natural cork though, with its smooth texture and light aroma, applied to a selection of exterior walls and ceilings, dominates the guest house’s atmosphere.
The styling carried out by the Parisian owners introduces unique design pieces ranging from the late 1920’s to the 1950’s showcasing artworks from a wide range of well-known artists such as Jean Prouvé, Marc Newson, Konstantin Grcic and Jasper Morrison. Additionally, local, traditional handicrafts are mixed with the design objects as well as with pieces of work by young contemporary photographers such as Edgar Martins and Adrià Goula.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Fascinating Eichler-inspired home renovation in California
- 44 Stunningly white bathroom design inspirations
- 25 Unbelievably stylish living rooms full of amazing ideas
- Rough-luxe mountain home in Evergreen, Colorado
- Stylish home with Scandinavian influences in Moscow
- A rustic-modern summer dream house on the island of Syros
- Rustic dwelling in the Pyrenees Mountains
- Imposing compound surrounded by mountains in Methow Valley
- Special touches and design for welcoming guest bedrooms
- Extraordinary city retreat with eccentric details
- Fascinating modernist mega estate in Beverly Hills, California
- Exquisite Barcelona apartment built for book lovers