The Vineyard house is situated far away from Hong Kong’s business district in Yuen Long, with bright open spaces and a garden area surrounded by lush foliage. Designed by interior design firm S.I.D. Ltd., the clients, a couple with two sons, wished to minimize the division of indoors and out by keeping the balcony doors open as often as the weather permits. The design team customized a raised platform in the outdoor area, creating a resort feel and allowing the homeowners to enjoy a bit of sunshine. The total living space of this contemporary home is 3,458 square feet which includes the house and garden, a luxury in a high-rise-saturated Hong Kong.
The customized wall-to-wall shelving unit is a feature wall that links the living area, dining area and open kitchen. The varied orientations of the cubbies have a puzzle-like effect and provide visual interest to the room. The stairs maximize the clients’ living and common areas — always a priority in space-hungry Hong Kong, even in Yuen Long.
If you look closer at the items displayed in each cubby and you will see hints of coastal design: a starfish, a sea urchin, a shell.
Floor-to-ceiling drapes, a textured rug and vibrant blue throw pillows warm up the space.
Figurines of monks with their begging bowls occupy the floor; most other accessories are displayed higher up.
A strip of grass cloth wallpaper and a wooden plank dining table add warmth to the largely black and white space.
The grayish-brown grain of the bar countertop and stool legs contrasts with the stark white shelving and cabinetry.
Space is saved by flush mounting the appliances, allowing the homeowners to have more surface area to devote to food preparation
The bedside lanterns in the master bedroom reflect the Far Eastern context of this largely contemporary home. The light cast by the lanterns highlights the textural appeal of the grass cloth panel behind the bed. The headboard and bed frame have been custom designed by S.I.D.
The designer reinforces the strong horizontal lines of the basement in the bookshelves, desk shelves, staircase and floor panels. The oak desk has been customized for two, with plentiful drawers, shelves and leg space.
LED lights provide both mood and practical lighting in the bathroom.
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Fascinating Eichler-inspired home renovation in California
- 44 Stunningly white bathroom design inspirations
- Rough-luxe mountain home in Evergreen, Colorado
- 25 Unbelievably stylish living rooms full of amazing ideas
- A rustic-modern summer dream house on the island of Syros
- Stylish home with Scandinavian influences in Moscow
- Printing house converted to elegant and playful New York pad
- Breathtaking lakefront summer getaway in Maine
- An absolutely fabulous renovation in San Francisco
- A breathtaking villa nestled in the foothills
- Luxury mountain retreat in the French Alps: Chalet Mont Blanc
- Fresh and bright Scandinavian apartment with exceptional details