Hill Street Residence is situated on a steeply sloping site in Dolores Heights, San Francisco. This complete rebuild by John Maniscalco Architecture transforms a small 1970’s house into an airy modern home with seamless indoor-outdoor transitions. Contrasting systems of vertical movement and expansive horizontal views provide a variety of spatial relationships to the site and the city – from the intimate to the distant, from urban expanse to private garden. A sky-lit two-story interior stair hall with bamboo garden blurs the house-landscape relationship and provides further emphasis of the vertical connectivity.
Photos: Matthew Millman
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Brooklyn brownstone gets revived into charming family home
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits