Walls of books fold around a wooden staircase in this renovation and extension to a north London home by Hackney studio Platform 5 Architects. Book Tower House is a typical late Victorian mid-terraced house in Hampstead, London. The original property contained some Arts and Crafts influenced decorative aspects, which the owners were keen to retain and highlight, while introducing contemporary interventions.
The main feature is a double height library space at the heart of the house, created by combining the original rear reception room and a first floor bedroom. The feature staircase, wrapped in oak bookshelves, leads up to a built-in desk and study area with views over the ground floor.
To the rear of the house, a side extension to the existing kitchen was formed by resting an oak rib and skin structure, externally clad in zinc, onto the brick party wall.
“We used exposed brickwork in the extension to link the room with the garden by continuing the garden wall into the interior, London stock brick is an essential part of the character of the city and it forms a beautiful backdrop to a domestic interior.”
A cozy seating area with slide-away corner glazing creates a space where you feel surrounded by the garden.
A kitchen island counter is made from exposed concrete, which the architects also used for the surface of the floor. “The robust finish sits comfortably with the muted tones and texture of the exposed brickwork and oak.”
Photos: Alan Williams
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Jaw-dropping dwelling merged cliffside above the Aegean Sea
- Renovated eighteenth century house
- A look inside an age-old barn transformed
- Visually appealing D2 Town House in Ho Chi Minh City
- Modern vacation home in California: Long Valley Ranch House
- Warehouse loft in Athens with Japanese aesthetics
- Striking contemporary design in West Vancouver: Esquimalt House