Newport Beach Residence is a modern family home designed by Paul Davis Architects, situated on a narrow lot, representing a departure from typical suburban site planning in Newport Beach, California. Rather than placing the house in the middle of the site as an object with front and rear yards, the building mass of this residence is structured as a bar along the north edge of the site with open spaces along the south. Punctuated by secondary volumes, these open spaces serve as discreet public and private courtyards into which indoor spaces flow.
Living spaces and children’s bedrooms are located at grade. A master suite stretching the width of the site is perched atop this lower bar. Accessible from the master suite, roof decks extend living spaces outdoors much as the courtyards do at grade level. A guest room is situated above the garage.
The house’s principal volume is rendered in steel-troweled stucco and secondary volumes are clad with stained cedar boards. To maximize the feeling of openness, the courtyard facades feature the extensive use of glass and sliding doors.
Photos: Clark Davis
Recommended For You
Connect With Us!
Popular this week
- Modern rustic home nestled high in the Sierra Mountains
- Stunning mid-century renewal in Portland by Jessica Helgerson
- Modern beach style reinvented in a Manhattan Beach house
- Phenomenal modern-rustic mountain home in Aspen
- 40 Super cool backyards with cozy fire pits
- Jaw-dropping dwelling merged cliffside above the Aegean Sea